Professional Development Meeting - Solving the missing link in big data, modern analytics, and data-driven insights with Alan Simon
REGISTRATION FOR THIS EVENT WILL CLOSE ON MONDAY, APRIL 11, 2022 AT 6:00 P.M. MST
5:30 p.m. - 8:00 p.m. Arizona Time Zone (8:30 p.m. EST - 11:00 p.m.)
- 5:30 – 6:00 Professional Networking
- 6:00 – 6:30 Welcome, Chapter Update & Mission, Speaker Learning Objectives & IIBA Knowledge Areas, and Guest Speaker Introduction
- 6:30 – 7:30 Solving the missing link in big data, modern analytics, and data-driven insights with Alan Simon
- 7:30 – 8:00 Q&A, Job Share, PDM Schedule, & Social Networking time permitting
Overview of Presentation:
For decades, the idea of data driving decisions, and then decisions driving actions, has been the foundation of our analytical efforts through multiple generations of approaches: decision-support systems, executive information systems, business intelligence, and into modern analytics. Far too often, however, our efforts are impeded by “insight leakage” along the pathway from data to actions. This presentation digs into the root causes of “insight leakage” in our data and analytics, and presents a prescription for today’s and tomorrow’s analytics initiatives to turn actionable insights into actionED insights.
IIBA Knowledge Areas:
- Business Analysis Planning & Monitoring
- Strategy Analysis
- Requirements Analysis and Design Definition
- Underlying Competencies
- Review the pathway from data through analytics through decisions through actions.
- Explore the critical role of business hypotheses in modern analytics, along with challenges unique to hypotheses versus “cold, hard facts”.
- Examine the problem of “insight leakage” along with the root causes.
- Catalog the underlying characteristics of successful versus less-than-successful analytics.
- Learn how to apply and overlay success factors in analytics on hypothesis-driven and challenging analytical efforts
- Business and technology professionals who work with and develop analytical applications and systems to deliver data-driven insights for decision-making and subsequent actions; strategic planners, architects, and other stakeholders.
Alan Simon is the Managing Principal of Thinking Helmet, Inc. and a long-time enterprise data management consultant. He is the author of 32 technology, business, and career-oriented books dating back to 1985, including the original edition of Data Warehousing For Dummies and Data Lakes For Dummies. He previously led global and national consulting practices with several firms, and also teaches university courses in his specialty areas. He lives in the Phoenix, Arizona area and is a native of Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania.
A special message from your board: We value every participant's health and want to continue to offer valued PDMs as we go through this extraordinary time together. Once registered, the call details will be sent before the event. Please make sure you enter your email address upon registration. If you have any questions please reach out to the email@example.com. We will hold PDM’s online until we feel that it is safe to resume in-person events. We will continue to have valuable speakers to support our chapter!!
NOTE - To register for this event as a 'Member' you must be signed into the Chapter website. If you are an IIBA Member and this option is not enabled for you, in the page menu above, click on SIGN IN and sign in using your IIBA credentials.